Feb 12 election:  Bham Southside Only

Permalink +

Thu, Jan 24, 2013, 5:09 pm  //  John Servais

You can download a pdf of this ballot. See link in article.

Here is some of the basic information on the election on creating a Metro Park District in south Bellingham.   It is not easy to learn what and who is on the ballot and who they are.  Our Auditor election page tends to bury issues in a very orderly way.   There is no online voters guide for the 9 candidates for the commission offices.  There is no date for when the ballots are mailed.  I phoned the Auditor office and was told the ballots are mailed tomorrow, Friday, Jan 25.

Above is a pdf of the ballot - as taken from the Auditor Election page.

Here is a link to what passes as the online voters guide - which is about the yes or no to create the Park District.  Nothing online about the candidates.  I am inviting all 9 candidates to feel free to submit a statement and photo of themselves and I will post them here - and allow comments to each statement.  The proponents show the statements of 6 candidates and state that only these candidates agree to some terms.  So I really would like to get the statements from the three other candidates.

Here is a link to the proponents website

Update:  A Facebook page has existed for the Park advocates.   Unfortunately, they do not provide a link to it from their website.  Here it is.  Some interesting info is there.

Update:  here is link to one website in opposition.

Here is the Auditor's Election web page.

Click here to download a pdf file of the ballot - as is found on the Auditor's website.

I live on the south side and will be voting on this issue and for 5 of the candidates.  If passed, I'll be paying a minimum of $800 in taxes over the next 10 years for this one measure.  I am very interested myself to learn more before voting.

I may add to this article if more links or basic info seems appropriate.

And I invite all the 9 candidates to submit statements.

Frank James  //  Thu, Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 pm

It is time to put an end to fear mongering and misrepresentation. Here are the simple and accurate facts about the Chuckanut Community Forest and the Metropolitan Park District that will facilitate it’s final acquisition.

1.  The City of Bellingham owns the Chuckanut Community Forest and will continue to do so.
2.  The Parks Department currently manages the Chuckanut Community Forest and will continue to do so.
3.  The MPD will obtain a conservation easements protecting the property in return for providing the funds to pay the debt incurred by the City in the purchase of it.
4.  The assessment will be limited to a property tax of .28 per $1000 of assessed property value per year which will pay off the entire loan.
5.  Once the debt has been paid, the commissioners will dissolve the Park District.

In canvasing the neighborhoods that will vote volunteers have found overwhelming support for the measure. One day of 125 people reached only 3 opposed the project and on another of 45 people contacted 4 did not support it. If all 1700 people that signed the petition to put it on the ballot vote for it, it will easily pass.

The ballots will be in your mailboxes this week. Fill them out and turn them in now.

Christopher Grannis  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 2:02 am

John, thanks for bringing this issue and links to information about this issue to NW Citizen. I urge readers to go to + Link to learn about the proposed Park District and especially the statements of the candidates for Park District Commissioners. Six candidates have been fighting for years to preserve from development Chuckanut Ridge, now known as the Chuckanut Community Forest. They are Cathy McKenzie position 1, Dan Remsen or John Hymas position 2, Susan Kaun position 3, Vince Biciunas position 4, and John Brown position 5.
Christopher

John Servais  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 10:41 am

Frank,  your comment perhaps belongs under some other article.  I fail to see where I presented any “fear mongering or misrepresentation” in my article.  Or are you just plastering up stuff anywhere?

Delaine Clizbe  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 7:16 pm

John, Thank you for posting information about this proposed Metropolitan Park District.  Your readers may find useful information on my website + Link   Proponents do not want to talk too much about what a Metropolitan Park District is.  It is not fear mongering to suggest that folks educate themselves on what it is they are voting on.  I urge folks to read RCW 35.61 before they vote.

I have spent very little time collecting signatures on my petition.  However, about 90% of the folks I talk to agree to sign.  Proponents of this plan live in a bit of a vacuum in that they have been so involved in this land purchase that they have lost touch with what the rest of the town thinks.

My hope is that folks vote no on Propostion 1.  And then write City Council and request they formulate another plan that does not involve another tax.

Larry Horowitz  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 7:30 pm

Delaine,

Your website indicates that you own multi-family housing in the district.

Your website also has a tab that asks, “Do you live in this district?”

Do you live in this district?

John Servais  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 9:05 pm

Larry, interesting that you bring up the question of whether Delaine lives in the district.  Of course, the intent of your question is to marginalize her opinions if she does not live in the district.  And, you being as good as I on the computer, probably spent the minute required to learn she lives outside the district.

But, Larry, do you know what business interests she may have “in the district”?  I doubt it.  And yet, if she does own property in the district then she will be paying tax on that - even though she lives outside the district.  This is called taxation without representation.

I would be willing to bet that a third to half the value of property that will be taxed for the park district is owned by folks who live outside the district - and do not get to vote on this issue.  Commercial properties will be paying.  Now, I have not heard any of them complaining about any unfairness.  But I point out this fact because you, Larry, are trying to make an issue of where people live without considering other factors.

If you want to make where a person lives a criteria for judging how credible their opinion is, then perhaps i should post up a map with the locations of the homes of the proponents.  Who is trying to get the rest of us to enhance their property values?  With our taxes.

Larry, you are inviting a rebuttal that you will not like and may hurt your cause.

One last thing.  I would hope a person could post a comment on NWCitizen without the risk of someone phoning them at home to harass them.

Larry Horowitz  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 11:02 pm

John,

Please relax and take a deep breath.  I called Delaine several days ago, well before she posted a comment on your blog. I called her to simply let her know that information on her blog was not accurate.  She subsequently corrected the information.

As far as asking if she lived in the district, didn’t Geyer ask me the same question?  I don’t recall you suggesting it was inappropriate for Geyer to do so.

I don’t know what business interests Delaine has in the district other than the fact that she owns multi-family housing as she posted on her website and I referred to in my previous comment.

For those who do have rental property in the district, it is likely the purpose is to generate income or long-term capital gain.  In other words, to generate a profit.  Being good business people, they generally charge an adequate rental to more than cover their costs.  Many landlords have already claimed they plan to raise their rents ever so slightly to cover the levy associated with the park district, so the actual cost of the levy is paid for by their tenants, not by the property owners themselves.  As I mentioned before, the average apartment in Padden Creek will be assessed $15 per year or $1.25 per month.

Delaine has claimed that she has already paid for the purchase of this land and does not want to pay for it again.  If in fact her tenants have actually paid the prior Greenways levy and will pay the park district levy, then is her claim really legitimate?

It is my understanding that Delaine lives outside of the city and does not pay the Greenways levy on her residence.  I don’t know this for a fact, but Delaine has every opportunity to verify if my understanding is correct.

Again, Delaine and Geyer are the ones who have raised the issue about living in the district and paying the levy.  Since the issue has already been raised, is it inappropriate to follow up on that?

John Servais  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 12:00 am

The exchange suggested that you called in response to her post.  So I retract my use of the word harass.

Delaine Clizbe  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 8:19 am

Mr. Horowitz,  I do not in fact live in the district.  I have not hidden that fact and have had the fact that I own rental housing in the district on my website from day one.  I’m a little smarter than you give me credit.  I knew very well this would be an argument against my opinion which is why I went with full disclosure from the beginning.

Furthermore, I do not even live within the City limits.  Gasp!  However, I did previously live within the City limits and did pay into the Greenways 1 2 and 3 levy’s on my personal residence.  So yes, I did pay for this land.

You are correct in that the cost per month that my two duplexes located at the bottom of 21st Street will pay is small. (yes, two small duplexes!  wow! what a rich landlord I am!)  You are correct that I could very well pass that cost on to my tenants.  However, the decision on whether to pass that cost on is not solely mine.  In rental housing there is a general market price that renters are willing to pay.  At some point, if rents are too high renters can not afford your rental and will choose to do business elsewhere.

You are incorrect in your assumption that I stand to somehow “profit” from my opposition to this Metropolitan Park District.  Rental housing does operate in somewhat of a supply and demand market.  The BEST scenario for a rental housing owner in this district would be that no more Multi-Family housing be built in the area.  Reducing the supply of housing makes my property more valuable and allows me to charge more rent.  I have advocated for just the opposite.  I have suggested a small portion of the land be sold and more multi-family dwellings be built.  Yes, that proves me to be an evil land baroness!

Finally, the question about the phone call.  When a man I do not know calls me out of the blue and is yelling at me that I am wrong, I am within my right to hang up!  You invaded my space and I felt threatened by that.  After I had googled your name and found out who you were I did call you back and apologize for hanging up on you.  In the future, you may want to think about your tactics.  I made changes to my website because I have little time to argue semantics!

Larry Horowitz  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 8:46 am

Delaine,

If you feel I was “yelling” at you, then I apologize; however, I am confident I did not.  When I called I simply told you I was calling about your website.  You immediately became defensive and asked “How did you get my number?”  I explained that you were listed in the phone book, but your website did not provide any other way to contact you.

On your website, you had claimed that the $4.5 million Greenways III funds used to acquire Chuckanut Ridge represented the entire amount of Greenways III revenues.  I called to let you know that the GWIII levy was a $40 million levy, which you denied and told me I was “grasping at straws.”

I don’t believe it’s semantics to claim that the Greenways III funds used to acquire Chuckanut Ridge represented all the funds paid in by every citizen.

Next time someone calls to help you, perhaps you won’t get so defensive.  I chose not to go public with your inaccurate information but instead to call you privately so you could correct it.

You’re welcome!

Delaine Clizbe  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 9:06 am

Mr. Horowitz, being that you are not a female you are probably not familiar with what it feels like to have a man you do not know call and yell at you.  Yes you were yelling.  Sorry you do not have a right to control my perception.

Let me give you this scenario.  Say I just purchased a new expensive mountain bike. In a conversation to a friend I may say something like “I’m not sure how I will pay my power bill this month as I just spent ALL my money on my new mountain bike”.  The friend would not assume I meant that I had spent all the money I had ever earned in my life on that mountain bike.  Rather he would assume that I had just drained my current checkbook.

This is exactly the intent with the reference to ALL the Greenways III money.  To me when you have to borrow money to finish the deal then you did indeed spend ALL the money.  So yes you were grasping at straws but I did go ahead and rephrase my statement as I do not intend to mislead anyone.

And you could have contacted me via a private message on the Facebook link on the website:)

Larry Horowitz  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 9:32 am

You are certainly entitled to your ‘perception’, which I have no intention of trying to control.

And we can agree to disagree:)

As far as contacting you via Facebook, please understand that not everyone uses Facebook.  Reviewing your website again, it is not clear at all how anyone would contact you via email.  The small Facebook logo is probably not enough for many people who may visit your site.

Again, please accept my apology for contacting you by phone and rest assured I will never do so again.

Delaine Clizbe  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 9:57 am

Yes we can agree to disagree!:)

Have a good day Mr. Horowitz!

Delaine Clizbe  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 10:18 am

P.S.  Here are two contact emails.  nocommunityforestmpd@gmail   or my personal email delaine918@gmail

Alex McLean  //  Thu, Jan 31, 2013, 2:55 pm

Frank James makes a few comments, way up there before the asinine jibberish took over, which I would like to address.

James direct quote:

“None of this is a mystery or sinister or illegal or immoral. It has been the will of the vast majority in our community for years.

Exaggerations about the intent and facts are unfortunate and inappropriate and appear to be the desperate acts of those long committed to the development of the property some of whom have already benefited from or stand to personally benefit from construction on the site.”

My response is as follows;

To say, rather petulantly and with more than a hint of the nearly cult-like righteousness that has plagued the proponents’ comments so far, that “none of this is a mystery” is actually false. It is a mystery. We have never had a Parks District imposed upon us before and, jeepers Frank, not all of us cuddle up to wine and cheese sessions with the commissioners for intimate chit-chat about their moral fiber and intentions: these people will be able to pay themselves, condemn property, increase their stated tax imposition, and yet, according to you, we should shut up and swallow the pill without any debate—even just mere pondering—of how this thing could go sideways on us. Perhaps it is not “illegal and immoral.” I, personally, have no doubt that some of these folks are saturated with honorable intentions. Still, 10 years is a long, long, time. Three commissioners, with this much authority to get jiggy with my money, is a few, few, people. I’ll eat my dog’s dinner if all the same people we vote for are still on this commissioner roster a decade hence. I’ll barf it up and eat it again if these new folks, who we REALLY know are a mystery, resist the urge to pay themselves or, ooops!, increase the tax. (It is a hollow wager: my dog eats really good kibble.)

The next execrable claim that you smear upon us opponents is that we, again, need to shut the Hell up with our “exaggerations” and “desperate acts” since it is we who are, actually, “committed to the development of the property.”

I’ll happily rub my hippie credentials against the best in this town, Frank. I had the yard signs up (when they were red) and I attended the boisterous meetings, and I probably even threw a meager lump of cash into the hat for the original effort to save this forest.

The problem with this MPD isn’t that it protects the forest, it is HOW it protects the forest.

I think many will agree that the scandalous and absurd zoning drove our support of the cause. Thankfully, and thanks to the relentless efforts of many of the proponents of this MPD, that is no longer an “apples-to-apples” case—the City of Bellingham has full control of this property now. If City Council members ever grow the spine to rezone it, it could be a very minor impact—perhaps a 5-acre boutique hotel plot or a cluster of dense and affordable housing, or, as has already been proposed elsewhere, the development rights could be transferred, sold, and some other, far less wealthy, neighborhood could absorb the pain of growth.

My gripe with this MPD isn’t that it wants to save some trees on the fringe of a dense urban area (even if literally thousands of acres of trees are directly connected to this amorphous and un-mapped sector of the property) or that they wish to make Greenways whole again (which is already codified by the fact that this property, according to the directive of the Finance Committee, acts as collateral to the loan.) My gripe is that this MPD has CHOSEN to stretch into Happy Valley, to dredge the wallets of the most densely populated neighborhood in Bellingham, to finance the very expensive re-purchasing of a very small tract of land that, dammit, is nearly THREE MILES AWAY from us.

The Happy Valley Neighborhood park is a shaved postage stamp snuggled betwixt a co-housing complex and a creek. Can anyone among the proponents seriously claim that my $800-$1,200 dollars benefits me, here in Happy Valley, as I sit crammed next to the roaring freeway and the lumbering march of condos and apartment towers.

The only honest answer is that it will not, in any significant or meaningful way, improve my life if I “bail out” the wealthiest neighborhoods in the county so that they can have a development firewall—a literal mountain of trees—protecting them from seeing any icky neighbors poking around Arbor Crest Gorgeous View Drive. This is an economic justice argument that proponents have already answered, in public, by shrugging and saying: “Yep—we decided to go for Happy Valley simply because we wanted to drive down the costs on individuals we are going to tap for this tax.”

Screw that. The Southside has already suffered from a Greenways moratorium on all purchases south of Whatcom Creek—imposed until Chuckanut Ridge was resolved and bought—and yet now we are being asked to chum up our money to buy the same trees twice. They are still nearly three miles away, Frank, and, since nobody can argue that the purchase has not, already, ensured viable trials and recreation, these piddling extra acres will do precisely nothing to improve our lives in Happy Valley while, simultaneously, doing a whole lot to our wallets.

Throw you petulant indignation wherever you wish. Call me a pawn of developers, or a Satan worshipper, or whatever. But don’t tell me that I’ve no cause for concern or resentment—or outright opposition—as this turd is gets forced down my throat. It is an imperfect plan, hastily crafted, one can suppose, to troll for those WWU students who registered here for Obama and marijuana votes, and I think there is much here worthy of hesitation even if, as you claim, there was no malice behind the effort itself.

(Gotta hand it to you, however, the 20 years that have been used to fight for this property have created one Hell of a political interest group! Too bad none of that money spent on signs and fliers and mailings and ballot applications could have been used to, well, you know, help pay for the property or something. :)

Satpal Sidhu, Candidate for State Representative, 42nd District

Tue, Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 am  //  Guest writer

Wherein a Fulbright scholar, professional engineer and successful business owner files for public office

3 comments; last on Sep 30, 2014

Hickory, Dickory, Docketing…Yet Another Spot Rezone

Mon, Sep 22, 2014, 5:07 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Last Thursday, the Planning Commission voted to recommend the docketing of the spot rezone of 801 Samish from Residential Single to Commerical Planned (non-retail)

4 comments; last on Sep 25, 2014

Paper Dreams in Fairhaven

Next door to Village Books

Samish Way Experience - Drug Dealing Dangers?

Wed, Sep 17, 2014, 10:26 am  //  John Servais

We post a disturbing report of a personal encounter along Samish Way, with the permission of John Stark, who experienced it.

2 comments; last on Sep 17, 2014

Who Will Be Appointed to Lehman’s City Council Seat?

Tue, Sep 09, 2014, 8:21 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley and John share the short list of who might replace Cathy Lehman on the Bellingham city council on January 5.

8 comments; last on Sep 10, 2014

An Imminent Threat:  The State Plans for CBR Disaster While Counties Punt

Mon, Aug 25, 2014, 11:48 am  //  Terry Wechsler

While the state spends hundreds of thousands of dollars defining risks of crude by rail, Skagit County finds no significant adverse impacts of a crude-by-rail proposal.

1 comments; last on Aug 28, 2014

You can’t fight city hall: city hall doesn’t fight fair

Fri, Aug 22, 2014, 2:06 pm  //  Guest writer

Patrick McKee of the Sunnyland Neighborhood guest-writes about the August 11 City Council slap-dash zoning changes.

2 comments; last on Aug 23, 2014

Good Friends and Neighbors:  What $54 Million Doesn’t Buy, Part 2

Wed, Aug 20, 2014, 4:54 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

Not content with causing massive inconvenience, BNSF is now literally dumping on county residents.

10 comments; last on Aug 26, 2014

Devil In the Details

Sat, Aug 16, 2014, 3:48 pm  //  Guest writer

Judith Green of the Sunnyland Neighborhood guest writes this brief summary of what went wrong with the planning last week.

1 comments; last on Aug 22, 2014

Good Friends and Neighbors:  What $54 Million Doesn’t Buy

Fri, Aug 15, 2014, 7:12 am  //  Terry Wechsler

A massive upgrade of the Cascade [rail] Corridor has left residents stranded and the sheriff asking Washington, DC, to intervene.

7 comments; last on Sep 02, 2014

Reliable Prosperity

Thu, Aug 14, 2014, 3:13 pm  //  Guest writer

Sandy Robson guest writes of the need for real prosperity at Cherry Point, not a destructive short term coal port that destroys the fishing grounds.

4 comments; last on Aug 18, 2014

Fleetwood versus Ericksen: What Happened in Round One?

Tue, Aug 12, 2014, 10:52 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Some Context for the Primary Results

0 comments

The Rule of Law - Bellingham Style

Mon, Aug 11, 2014, 11:31 pm  //  John Servais

Bellingham City Council abruptly changes zoning codes to force Planning Department plan on Sunnyland residents.

7 comments; last on Aug 14, 2014

Final Updated Election Results

Fri, Aug 08, 2014, 10:10 am  //  John Servais

Updated Wed evening. The Tuesday evening 8:20 pm Auditor report on the election is in.

5 comments; last on Aug 08, 2014

Councilmember Murphy’s Proposed Rental Ordinance Is Deeply Flawed

Fri, Aug 01, 2014, 8:00 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Councilmember Murphy's proposal is based on a complaint-based rental ordinance from Tacoma, demonstrated to do little for the health and safety of tenants.

13 comments; last on Sep 27, 2014

Trial by Fire:  A Rising Tide of Civil Disobedience

Fri, Aug 01, 2014, 4:47 am  //  Terry Wechsler

Carefully planned actions are rolling across the state to make the point that it's not OK to expose us to risks associated with CBR.

7 comments; last on Aug 04, 2014

Northwest Citizen Releases Polling of Whatcom Voters

Thu, Jul 24, 2014, 11:40 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Northwest Citizen has conducted a phone poll of likely voters, with some surprising results!

9 comments; last on Jul 29, 2014

Plan Commission & Samish Neighbors Bypassed on Rezone Docketing

Thu, Jul 24, 2014, 7:52 am  //  Dick Conoboy

In contravention of the Bellingham Municipal Code, the City Council will consider on 4 August a last minute docketing request that ignores the Planning Commission and Samish Neighborhood.

1 comments; last on Jul 30, 2014

Sunnyland Planning Process Explained - Partially

Wed, Jul 23, 2014, 10:47 pm  //  Guest writer

Guest writer Mike Rostron explains how Bellingham city planners played loose and illegal with planning processes.

0 comments

City Council Approves Resident’s Sunnyland Plan

Tue, Jul 22, 2014, 7:22 pm  //  John Servais

Sunnlyland residents win one - after a seven year effort. Planning Department failed them and all of us.

2 comments; last on Jul 23, 2014

What Landlords Need to Know about Rental Registration

Mon, Jul 21, 2014, 5:30 am  //  Guest writer

Landlords are so caught up opposing a licensing and inspection ordinance, they cannot see the upside for them in ridding the city of bad rentals.

19 comments; last on Aug 01, 2014

Sunnyland Deja Vu

Fri, Jul 18, 2014, 1:24 pm  //  Guest writer

Judith Green explains how the Bellingham Planning Department is trying to cram their plan onto a neighborhood.

5 comments; last on Jul 21, 2014

Trial by Fire:  Call to Action to Comment on the BP Pier Expansion

Sun, Jul 13, 2014, 2:26 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

Years after BP completed its north dock, the Army Corps of Engineers released a draft EIS and it's really really stupid.

0 comments

Intrado Not to Intrude in Bellingham

Tue, Jul 08, 2014, 8:20 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The city council "persuades" the city administration to withdraw a request for an intrusive police threat warning system

2 comments; last on Jul 08, 2014

Power to the Permit! (or Closely Hold This!)

Mon, Jul 07, 2014, 6:54 am  //  Terry Wechsler

It is time we stop allowing corporations to externalize the costs associated with their risky business practices, and demand more from our regulators who hold the keys to…

3 comments; last on Jul 13, 2014

Manifest Clandestine-y

Mon, Jul 07, 2014, 5:04 am  //  Guest writer

Guest writer Sandy Robson breaks the story of officials from Washington treated to a coal-promoting junket to Wyoming.

2 comments; last on Jul 13, 2014

A Question of Freedom

Fri, Jul 04, 2014, 5:00 am  //  Guest writer

Ferndale's most famous landmark is frequently commented on and is often in the news. Here is their side of the story.

4 comments; last on Jul 07, 2014

Trial by Fire: Lessons Not Learned One Year after Lac-Megantic

Wed, Jul 02, 2014, 5:14 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

On the anniversary of the Lac-Megantic disaster, communities throughout North America rally in solidarity to remember and protest wholly inadequate government response to crude-by-rail's risks.

4 comments; last on Jul 12, 2014

Sins of Omission

Fri, Jun 27, 2014, 9:01 pm  //  Guest writer

In the Weekly, Tim Johnson left out three words in quoting Craig Cole - and his story misleads readers. Guest article by Sandy Robson.

11 comments; last on Jul 01, 2014

DOJ Grant Brings Confusion and Anger to City Council Meeting

Tue, Jun 24, 2014, 10:24 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The Bellingham Police Department wants to purchase "threat assessment" software with federal monies. Citizen comments were vehement and negative. City Council confused.

5 comments; last on Jul 03, 2014

Widespread Slaughter Won’t Work

Tue, Jun 17, 2014, 10:18 pm  //  Tip Johnson

Wherein the failings of a bad policy framework are revealed

1 comments; last on Jun 19, 2014

Fireworks Ban in Bellingham in Effect as of 18 June

Tue, Jun 17, 2014, 7:53 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The possession and use of consumer fireworks are no longer permitted within the city limits.

1 comments; last on Jun 19, 2014

Herald and Weekly Withhold the News

Wed, Jun 11, 2014, 11:39 am  //  John Servais

Wyoming Senators and coal honchos were in Whatcom County June 10 - to hold a news conference with select reporters.

7 comments; last on Jun 20, 2014

Dawn Sturwold Retiring End of Month

Tue, Jun 10, 2014, 11:20 am  //  John Servais

Bellingham Hearing Examiner, Dawn Sturwold, retires in three weeks. Successor selection is hidden from all of us.

3 comments; last on Jun 11, 2014

Stay the Frack Out of Our Forearc Redux

Fri, Jun 06, 2014, 2:07 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

Part 2: Following Ken Oplinger to California, and Home Again

4 comments; last on Jun 19, 2014

The Road to Perdition

Sun, Jun 01, 2014, 12:39 am  //  Guest writer

A Venn diagram where coal, the Endangered Species Act, Republicans, and Wyoming’s Board of Education collide.

2 comments; last on Jun 02, 2014

Feint, Calumny, Solidarity

Wed, May 28, 2014, 3:15 pm  //  Guest writer

A perspective by guest writer Ellen Murphy reflects on the Whatcom Watch and the threatened law suit by Craig Cole.

22 comments; last on Jun 01, 2014

Extracting Profit and Destroying Experience: The Waterfront Plan

Tue, May 27, 2014, 1:23 am  //  Wendy Harris

Why was so little consideration given to the concept of developing the waterfront for eco-tourism?

5 comments; last on Jun 11, 2014

How Park Improvements Generate Heat

Mon, May 26, 2014, 7:51 pm  //  Wendy Harris

City park improvements have implications on the local and global scale.

2 comments; last on May 29, 2014

Montana & Wyoming to WA: Permit Coal Export Terminals… Or Else

Thu, May 22, 2014, 12:10 am  //  Guest writer

Wyoming is ready to try and legally force us to limit our environmental scoping for the Cherry Point coal terminal

4 comments; last on Jun 17, 2014

The Trojan Slaughterhouse and the Scrivener’s Errors

Sun, May 18, 2014, 11:57 pm  //  Wendy Harris

Reckless rezones and far-fetched explanations result in more slaughterhouses and meat packing plants

3 comments; last on May 20, 2014

Who Filed for Charter Review Commission?

Sat, May 17, 2014, 2:34 pm  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley takes a closer look at the Charter Review Commission candidates

2 comments; last on May 21, 2014

Bellingham’s 2013 Water Quality Report: The Facts But Not the Truth

Tue, May 13, 2014, 5:04 pm  //  Wendy Harris

Bellingham's annual water quality report indicates that city hall's propoganda machine is going strong

1 comments; last on May 14, 2014

Stay the Frack Out of Our Forearc

Sun, May 11, 2014, 2:20 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

Part 1: Introduction to the Bellingham Basin’s Potential for Fracking, Earthquakes, and Earthquakes Due to Fracking

3 comments; last on May 14, 2014

Riley scoops Herald - again

Fri, May 09, 2014, 10:02 am  //  John Servais

The Political Junkie for Whatcom County - that would be Riley Sweeney - has Overstreet not running for reelection in the 42nd.

1 comments; last on May 13, 2014

An Imminent Threat

Fri, May 09, 2014, 6:10 am  //  Terry Wechsler

Why Washington must step in and assume lead agency status in Skagit County for the Shell crude by rail proposal.

6 comments; last on Jun 21, 2014

The Whatcom Republicans’ Huge PCO Advantage

Tue, May 06, 2014, 5:52 pm  //  Riley Sweeney

The value of a Precinct Committee Officer . . .

1 comments; last on May 07, 2014

‘Legislative Sausage” or “Slaughter this Ordinance”

Mon, May 05, 2014, 3:34 pm  //  Tip Johnson

Wherein the gyrations of the bid for widespread county slaughter are exposed.

2 comments; last on May 07, 2014

Move To Amend - Persons vs Corporations

Thu, May 01, 2014, 10:21 pm  //  Guest writer

Move to Amend is a national movement to amend the U.S. Constitution and define persons as people and speech as not money.

7 comments; last on Jun 02, 2014

SweenyPolitics:  Fleetwood files against Ericksen

Wed, Apr 30, 2014, 8:20 am  //  John Servais

Riley posted this morning that Seth Fleetwood has decided to challenge Doug Ericksen for state senate in the 42nd District.

1 comments; last on Apr 30, 2014

Planning or Development Commission?

Mon, Apr 28, 2014, 6:28 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Every Bellingham Planning Commission member has ties to development or development-related businesses.

4 comments; last on Apr 30, 2014

“Friends and Neighbors”?

Mon, Apr 21, 2014, 1:59 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

A closer look at Whatcom County's industrial "stewards of the environment."

4 comments; last on Aug 28, 2014

Action Alert for Tonight: Waterfront Wildlife and Habitat Threatened

Mon, Apr 21, 2014, 11:43 am  //  Wendy Harris

The public needs to support city council and request that a waterfront habitat assessment include terrestrial species and habitat connectivity.

0 comments

Water, Water Everywhere, but ...

Sat, Apr 19, 2014, 2:57 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

or How Not to Plan for Future Generations' Water Needs

12 comments; last on Jun 30, 2014

Charter Review and District Only Voting

Thu, Apr 17, 2014, 10:40 am  //  Riley Sweeney

A simple explanation of the Charter Review and analysis of District only voting

0 comments

Roosevelt Neighborhood Pleads for Left Turns

Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 9:07 am  //  Riley Sweeney

City pushes for Alabama Street improvements, residents speak out

3 comments; last on Apr 14, 2014

Assault

Sun, Apr 06, 2014, 4:29 pm  //  Guest writer

By Christopher Grannis: Wherein despite every effort and expense, citizens cannot make the City follow the law or work for neighborhoods

2 comments; last on Apr 07, 2014

Killer Industrial Jobs or Long-term Job Killers?

Sun, Apr 06, 2014, 12:52 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

Why commenting on the EIS for Comp Plan revisions for Cherry Point means demanding an EIS in the first place.

5 comments; last on Jun 25, 2014

Anatomy of a Development Part XII - Citizens Win Against University Ridge

Wed, Apr 02, 2014, 6:00 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Ambling University Development Group pulls out. University Ridge will not be built.

12 comments; last on Apr 06, 2014

Tell County To Expand Scope of EIS Review for Plants and Animals

Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 1:27 pm  //  Wendy Harris

Please help us protect county wildlife by ensuring that the scope of the EIS review is adequate. A sample scoping letter is included.

0 comments

Public May Comment On EIS Scoping For County Comp. Plan Until April 7th

Mon, Mar 31, 2014, 2:23 am  //  Wendy Harris

The public has a week to comment on the scope of issues reviewed under the EIS.

0 comments