Feb 12 election:  Bham Southside Only

Permalink +

Thu, Jan 24, 2013, 4:09 pm  //  John Servais

You can download a pdf of this ballot. See link in article.

Here is some of the basic information on the election on creating a Metro Park District in south Bellingham.   It is not easy to learn what and who is on the ballot and who they are.  Our Auditor election page tends to bury issues in a very orderly way.   There is no online voters guide for the 9 candidates for the commission offices.  There is no date for when the ballots are mailed.  I phoned the Auditor office and was told the ballots are mailed tomorrow, Friday, Jan 25.

Above is a pdf of the ballot - as taken from the Auditor Election page.

Here is a link to what passes as the online voters guide - which is about the yes or no to create the Park District.  Nothing online about the candidates.  I am inviting all 9 candidates to feel free to submit a statement and photo of themselves and I will post them here - and allow comments to each statement.  The proponents show the statements of 6 candidates and state that only these candidates agree to some terms.  So I really would like to get the statements from the three other candidates.

Here is a link to the proponents website

Update:  A Facebook page has existed for the Park advocates.   Unfortunately, they do not provide a link to it from their website.  Here it is.  Some interesting info is there.

Update:  here is link to one website in opposition.

Here is the Auditor's Election web page.

Click here to download a pdf file of the ballot - as is found on the Auditor's website.

I live on the south side and will be voting on this issue and for 5 of the candidates.  If passed, I'll be paying a minimum of $800 in taxes over the next 10 years for this one measure.  I am very interested myself to learn more before voting.

I may add to this article if more links or basic info seems appropriate.

And I invite all the 9 candidates to submit statements.

Frank James  //  Thu, Jan 24, 2013, 10:22 pm

It is time to put an end to fear mongering and misrepresentation. Here are the simple and accurate facts about the Chuckanut Community Forest and the Metropolitan Park District that will facilitate it’s final acquisition.

1.  The City of Bellingham owns the Chuckanut Community Forest and will continue to do so.
2.  The Parks Department currently manages the Chuckanut Community Forest and will continue to do so.
3.  The MPD will obtain a conservation easements protecting the property in return for providing the funds to pay the debt incurred by the City in the purchase of it.
4.  The assessment will be limited to a property tax of .28 per $1000 of assessed property value per year which will pay off the entire loan.
5.  Once the debt has been paid, the commissioners will dissolve the Park District.

In canvasing the neighborhoods that will vote volunteers have found overwhelming support for the measure. One day of 125 people reached only 3 opposed the project and on another of 45 people contacted 4 did not support it. If all 1700 people that signed the petition to put it on the ballot vote for it, it will easily pass.

The ballots will be in your mailboxes this week. Fill them out and turn them in now.

Christopher Grannis  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 1:02 am

John, thanks for bringing this issue and links to information about this issue to NW Citizen. I urge readers to go to + Link to learn about the proposed Park District and especially the statements of the candidates for Park District Commissioners. Six candidates have been fighting for years to preserve from development Chuckanut Ridge, now known as the Chuckanut Community Forest. They are Cathy McKenzie position 1, Dan Remsen or John Hymas position 2, Susan Kaun position 3, Vince Biciunas position 4, and John Brown position 5.
Christopher

John Servais  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 9:41 am

Frank,  your comment perhaps belongs under some other article.  I fail to see where I presented any “fear mongering or misrepresentation” in my article.  Or are you just plastering up stuff anywhere?

Delaine Clizbe  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 6:16 pm

John, Thank you for posting information about this proposed Metropolitan Park District.  Your readers may find useful information on my website + Link   Proponents do not want to talk too much about what a Metropolitan Park District is.  It is not fear mongering to suggest that folks educate themselves on what it is they are voting on.  I urge folks to read RCW 35.61 before they vote.

I have spent very little time collecting signatures on my petition.  However, about 90% of the folks I talk to agree to sign.  Proponents of this plan live in a bit of a vacuum in that they have been so involved in this land purchase that they have lost touch with what the rest of the town thinks.

My hope is that folks vote no on Propostion 1.  And then write City Council and request they formulate another plan that does not involve another tax.

Larry Horowitz  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 6:30 pm

Delaine,

Your website indicates that you own multi-family housing in the district.

Your website also has a tab that asks, “Do you live in this district?”

Do you live in this district?

John Servais  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 8:05 pm

Larry, interesting that you bring up the question of whether Delaine lives in the district.  Of course, the intent of your question is to marginalize her opinions if she does not live in the district.  And, you being as good as I on the computer, probably spent the minute required to learn she lives outside the district.

But, Larry, do you know what business interests she may have “in the district”?  I doubt it.  And yet, if she does own property in the district then she will be paying tax on that - even though she lives outside the district.  This is called taxation without representation.

I would be willing to bet that a third to half the value of property that will be taxed for the park district is owned by folks who live outside the district - and do not get to vote on this issue.  Commercial properties will be paying.  Now, I have not heard any of them complaining about any unfairness.  But I point out this fact because you, Larry, are trying to make an issue of where people live without considering other factors.

If you want to make where a person lives a criteria for judging how credible their opinion is, then perhaps i should post up a map with the locations of the homes of the proponents.  Who is trying to get the rest of us to enhance their property values?  With our taxes.

Larry, you are inviting a rebuttal that you will not like and may hurt your cause.

One last thing.  I would hope a person could post a comment on NWCitizen without the risk of someone phoning them at home to harass them.

Larry Horowitz  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 10:02 pm

John,

Please relax and take a deep breath.  I called Delaine several days ago, well before she posted a comment on your blog. I called her to simply let her know that information on her blog was not accurate.  She subsequently corrected the information.

As far as asking if she lived in the district, didn’t Geyer ask me the same question?  I don’t recall you suggesting it was inappropriate for Geyer to do so.

I don’t know what business interests Delaine has in the district other than the fact that she owns multi-family housing as she posted on her website and I referred to in my previous comment.

For those who do have rental property in the district, it is likely the purpose is to generate income or long-term capital gain.  In other words, to generate a profit.  Being good business people, they generally charge an adequate rental to more than cover their costs.  Many landlords have already claimed they plan to raise their rents ever so slightly to cover the levy associated with the park district, so the actual cost of the levy is paid for by their tenants, not by the property owners themselves.  As I mentioned before, the average apartment in Padden Creek will be assessed $15 per year or $1.25 per month.

Delaine has claimed that she has already paid for the purchase of this land and does not want to pay for it again.  If in fact her tenants have actually paid the prior Greenways levy and will pay the park district levy, then is her claim really legitimate?

It is my understanding that Delaine lives outside of the city and does not pay the Greenways levy on her residence.  I don’t know this for a fact, but Delaine has every opportunity to verify if my understanding is correct.

Again, Delaine and Geyer are the ones who have raised the issue about living in the district and paying the levy.  Since the issue has already been raised, is it inappropriate to follow up on that?

John Servais  //  Fri, Jan 25, 2013, 11:00 pm

The exchange suggested that you called in response to her post.  So I retract my use of the word harass.

Delaine Clizbe  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 7:19 am

Mr. Horowitz,  I do not in fact live in the district.  I have not hidden that fact and have had the fact that I own rental housing in the district on my website from day one.  I’m a little smarter than you give me credit.  I knew very well this would be an argument against my opinion which is why I went with full disclosure from the beginning.

Furthermore, I do not even live within the City limits.  Gasp!  However, I did previously live within the City limits and did pay into the Greenways 1 2 and 3 levy’s on my personal residence.  So yes, I did pay for this land.

You are correct in that the cost per month that my two duplexes located at the bottom of 21st Street will pay is small. (yes, two small duplexes!  wow! what a rich landlord I am!)  You are correct that I could very well pass that cost on to my tenants.  However, the decision on whether to pass that cost on is not solely mine.  In rental housing there is a general market price that renters are willing to pay.  At some point, if rents are too high renters can not afford your rental and will choose to do business elsewhere.

You are incorrect in your assumption that I stand to somehow “profit” from my opposition to this Metropolitan Park District.  Rental housing does operate in somewhat of a supply and demand market.  The BEST scenario for a rental housing owner in this district would be that no more Multi-Family housing be built in the area.  Reducing the supply of housing makes my property more valuable and allows me to charge more rent.  I have advocated for just the opposite.  I have suggested a small portion of the land be sold and more multi-family dwellings be built.  Yes, that proves me to be an evil land baroness!

Finally, the question about the phone call.  When a man I do not know calls me out of the blue and is yelling at me that I am wrong, I am within my right to hang up!  You invaded my space and I felt threatened by that.  After I had googled your name and found out who you were I did call you back and apologize for hanging up on you.  In the future, you may want to think about your tactics.  I made changes to my website because I have little time to argue semantics!

Larry Horowitz  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 7:46 am

Delaine,

If you feel I was “yelling” at you, then I apologize; however, I am confident I did not.  When I called I simply told you I was calling about your website.  You immediately became defensive and asked “How did you get my number?”  I explained that you were listed in the phone book, but your website did not provide any other way to contact you.

On your website, you had claimed that the $4.5 million Greenways III funds used to acquire Chuckanut Ridge represented the entire amount of Greenways III revenues.  I called to let you know that the GWIII levy was a $40 million levy, which you denied and told me I was “grasping at straws.”

I don’t believe it’s semantics to claim that the Greenways III funds used to acquire Chuckanut Ridge represented all the funds paid in by every citizen.

Next time someone calls to help you, perhaps you won’t get so defensive.  I chose not to go public with your inaccurate information but instead to call you privately so you could correct it.

You’re welcome!

Delaine Clizbe  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 8:06 am

Mr. Horowitz, being that you are not a female you are probably not familiar with what it feels like to have a man you do not know call and yell at you.  Yes you were yelling.  Sorry you do not have a right to control my perception.

Let me give you this scenario.  Say I just purchased a new expensive mountain bike. In a conversation to a friend I may say something like “I’m not sure how I will pay my power bill this month as I just spent ALL my money on my new mountain bike”.  The friend would not assume I meant that I had spent all the money I had ever earned in my life on that mountain bike.  Rather he would assume that I had just drained my current checkbook.

This is exactly the intent with the reference to ALL the Greenways III money.  To me when you have to borrow money to finish the deal then you did indeed spend ALL the money.  So yes you were grasping at straws but I did go ahead and rephrase my statement as I do not intend to mislead anyone.

And you could have contacted me via a private message on the Facebook link on the website:)

Larry Horowitz  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 8:32 am

You are certainly entitled to your ‘perception’, which I have no intention of trying to control.

And we can agree to disagree:)

As far as contacting you via Facebook, please understand that not everyone uses Facebook.  Reviewing your website again, it is not clear at all how anyone would contact you via email.  The small Facebook logo is probably not enough for many people who may visit your site.

Again, please accept my apology for contacting you by phone and rest assured I will never do so again.

Delaine Clizbe  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 8:57 am

Yes we can agree to disagree!:)

Have a good day Mr. Horowitz!

Delaine Clizbe  //  Sat, Jan 26, 2013, 9:18 am

P.S.  Here are two contact emails.  nocommunityforestmpd@gmail   or my personal email delaine918@gmail

Alex McLean  //  Thu, Jan 31, 2013, 1:55 pm

Frank James makes a few comments, way up there before the asinine jibberish took over, which I would like to address.

James direct quote:

“None of this is a mystery or sinister or illegal or immoral. It has been the will of the vast majority in our community for years.

Exaggerations about the intent and facts are unfortunate and inappropriate and appear to be the desperate acts of those long committed to the development of the property some of whom have already benefited from or stand to personally benefit from construction on the site.”

My response is as follows;

To say, rather petulantly and with more than a hint of the nearly cult-like righteousness that has plagued the proponents’ comments so far, that “none of this is a mystery” is actually false. It is a mystery. We have never had a Parks District imposed upon us before and, jeepers Frank, not all of us cuddle up to wine and cheese sessions with the commissioners for intimate chit-chat about their moral fiber and intentions: these people will be able to pay themselves, condemn property, increase their stated tax imposition, and yet, according to you, we should shut up and swallow the pill without any debate—even just mere pondering—of how this thing could go sideways on us. Perhaps it is not “illegal and immoral.” I, personally, have no doubt that some of these folks are saturated with honorable intentions. Still, 10 years is a long, long, time. Three commissioners, with this much authority to get jiggy with my money, is a few, few, people. I’ll eat my dog’s dinner if all the same people we vote for are still on this commissioner roster a decade hence. I’ll barf it up and eat it again if these new folks, who we REALLY know are a mystery, resist the urge to pay themselves or, ooops!, increase the tax. (It is a hollow wager: my dog eats really good kibble.)

The next execrable claim that you smear upon us opponents is that we, again, need to shut the Hell up with our “exaggerations” and “desperate acts” since it is we who are, actually, “committed to the development of the property.”

I’ll happily rub my hippie credentials against the best in this town, Frank. I had the yard signs up (when they were red) and I attended the boisterous meetings, and I probably even threw a meager lump of cash into the hat for the original effort to save this forest.

The problem with this MPD isn’t that it protects the forest, it is HOW it protects the forest.

I think many will agree that the scandalous and absurd zoning drove our support of the cause. Thankfully, and thanks to the relentless efforts of many of the proponents of this MPD, that is no longer an “apples-to-apples” case—the City of Bellingham has full control of this property now. If City Council members ever grow the spine to rezone it, it could be a very minor impact—perhaps a 5-acre boutique hotel plot or a cluster of dense and affordable housing, or, as has already been proposed elsewhere, the development rights could be transferred, sold, and some other, far less wealthy, neighborhood could absorb the pain of growth.

My gripe with this MPD isn’t that it wants to save some trees on the fringe of a dense urban area (even if literally thousands of acres of trees are directly connected to this amorphous and un-mapped sector of the property) or that they wish to make Greenways whole again (which is already codified by the fact that this property, according to the directive of the Finance Committee, acts as collateral to the loan.) My gripe is that this MPD has CHOSEN to stretch into Happy Valley, to dredge the wallets of the most densely populated neighborhood in Bellingham, to finance the very expensive re-purchasing of a very small tract of land that, dammit, is nearly THREE MILES AWAY from us.

The Happy Valley Neighborhood park is a shaved postage stamp snuggled betwixt a co-housing complex and a creek. Can anyone among the proponents seriously claim that my $800-$1,200 dollars benefits me, here in Happy Valley, as I sit crammed next to the roaring freeway and the lumbering march of condos and apartment towers.

The only honest answer is that it will not, in any significant or meaningful way, improve my life if I “bail out” the wealthiest neighborhoods in the county so that they can have a development firewall—a literal mountain of trees—protecting them from seeing any icky neighbors poking around Arbor Crest Gorgeous View Drive. This is an economic justice argument that proponents have already answered, in public, by shrugging and saying: “Yep—we decided to go for Happy Valley simply because we wanted to drive down the costs on individuals we are going to tap for this tax.”

Screw that. The Southside has already suffered from a Greenways moratorium on all purchases south of Whatcom Creek—imposed until Chuckanut Ridge was resolved and bought—and yet now we are being asked to chum up our money to buy the same trees twice. They are still nearly three miles away, Frank, and, since nobody can argue that the purchase has not, already, ensured viable trials and recreation, these piddling extra acres will do precisely nothing to improve our lives in Happy Valley while, simultaneously, doing a whole lot to our wallets.

Throw you petulant indignation wherever you wish. Call me a pawn of developers, or a Satan worshipper, or whatever. But don’t tell me that I’ve no cause for concern or resentment—or outright opposition—as this turd is gets forced down my throat. It is an imperfect plan, hastily crafted, one can suppose, to troll for those WWU students who registered here for Obama and marijuana votes, and I think there is much here worthy of hesitation even if, as you claim, there was no malice behind the effort itself.

(Gotta hand it to you, however, the 20 years that have been used to fight for this property have created one Hell of a political interest group! Too bad none of that money spent on signs and fliers and mailings and ballot applications could have been used to, well, you know, help pay for the property or something. :)

Charter Review and District Only Voting

Thu, Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 am  //  Riley Sweeney

A simple explanation of the Charter Review and analysis of District only voting

Roosevelt Neighborhood Pleads for Left Turns

Wed, Apr 09, 2014, 8:07 am  //  Riley Sweeney

City pushes for Alabama Street improvements, residents speak out

3 comments; last on Apr 14, 2014

Johns Repair

Specializing in German vehicles...

Assault

Sun, Apr 06, 2014, 3:29 pm  //  Guest writer

By Christopher Grannis: Wherein despite every effort and expense, citizens cannot make the City follow the law or work for neighborhoods

2 comments; last on Apr 07, 2014

Killer Industrial Jobs or Long-term Job Killers?

Sun, Apr 06, 2014, 11:52 am  //  Terry Wechsler

Why commenting on the EIS in Comp Plan revisions for Cherry Point means demanding an EIS in the first place.

4 comments; last on Apr 13, 2014

Anatomy of a Development Part XII - Citizens Win Against University Ridge

Wed, Apr 02, 2014, 5:00 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Ambling University Development Group pulls out. University Ridge will not be built.

12 comments; last on Apr 06, 2014

Tell County To Expand Scope of EIS Review for Plants and Animals

Tue, Apr 01, 2014, 12:27 pm  //  Wendy Harris

Please help us protect county wildlife by ensuring that the scope of the EIS review is adequate. A sample scoping letter is included.

Public May Comment On EIS Scoping For County Comp. Plan Until April 7th

Mon, Mar 31, 2014, 1:23 am  //  Wendy Harris

The public has a week to comment on the scope of issues reviewed under the EIS.

My State of the Lake Report for 2014

Fri, Mar 28, 2014, 12:32 am  //  Wendy Harris

On March 26, 2014 the city and county provided their update and assessment on the status of Lake Whatcom. This is mine.

2 comments; last on Apr 01, 2014

County Considers Purchasing Toxic Property

Wed, Mar 19, 2014, 9:32 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley digs into the county's plan to buy the county morgue

3 comments; last on Mar 24, 2014

Propaganda Replaces Public Information:  An Analysis of the Lake Whatcom TDML Process

Sun, Mar 16, 2014, 11:52 pm  //  Wendy Harris

The public is not provided with a proposed plan or adequate information prior to the annual "state of the lake" meeting

4 comments; last on Mar 18, 2014

Mobile Slaughter

Sat, Mar 15, 2014, 12:11 pm  //  Tip Johnson

Wherein there's a crackdown on growing plants, and plans to let slaughter run free

2 comments; last on Mar 16, 2014

Fukushima Radiation Found In Canada

Fri, Mar 14, 2014, 9:47 am  //  John Servais

Fukushima radiation has been found 20 miles from Whatcom County farmland along the Fraser River in British Columbia.

1 comments; last on Mar 17, 2014

Is ALEC Jr. Coming to Whatcom County or Bellingham Soon?

Wed, Mar 12, 2014, 7:28 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The infamous American Legislative Exchange Council plans to send its spawn to cities and counties throughout the U.S.

1 comments; last on Mar 24, 2014

Rep. Vincent Buys Appears to Break State Fundraising Laws

Tue, Mar 11, 2014, 10:24 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley catches State Rep. Vincent Buys for soliciting funds during session

County Hires GPT Permit Lead as Senior Planner

Mon, Mar 10, 2014, 9:51 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley digs into an unusual hiring decision at the County Planning Dept

1 comments; last on Mar 10, 2014

Whatcom Watch Editor Resigns

Sun, Mar 02, 2014, 2:22 pm  //  John Servais

The editor of the Whatcom Watch, Richard Jehn, has resigned effective today. Chalk up a victory for Craig Cole and Pacific International Terminals.

8 comments; last on Mar 05, 2014

Relevant Documents to Libel Threat

Tue, Feb 25, 2014, 8:29 pm  //  John Servais

The full text of Craig Cole's threatening letter of libel against the Whatcom Watch. And the emptiness of the threat.

16 comments; last on Mar 20, 2014

Action Alert for Tonight: Waterfront Wildlife and Habitat Not Being Protected as Promised

Mon, Feb 24, 2014, 3:33 pm  //  Wendy Harris

We were led to believe the city would review waterfront wildlife and habitat connectivity. It turns out that the city intends to focus only on nearshore fish.

Wendy Harris on Citizen Journalism

Sat, Feb 22, 2014, 12:16 am  //  Wendy Harris

Accepting the Paul deArmond award of citizen journalism on Feb 7, Wendh Harris gave this speech. We think it deserves its own post.

Craig Cole Threatens Libel Suit

Wed, Feb 19, 2014, 4:48 pm  //  John Servais

Craig Cole, the local contact for the proposed Cherry Point coal port has threatened the Whatcom Watch with a libel lawsuit.

6 comments; last on Mar 20, 2014

Do Changing Liquor and Marijuana Laws Affect DUIs

Mon, Feb 17, 2014, 7:26 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley digs through court data and discovers the real impact of privatization and legalization

Bellingham Seeks “Flexibility” To Sell Wholesale Rural Sewer Services

Sun, Feb 09, 2014, 9:35 pm  //  Wendy Harris

The mayor wants to amend a city law to increase flexibility for a GMA provision that should be used rarely, if ever at all.

3 comments; last on Feb 11, 2014

The Hidden Costs of Costco

Sun, Feb 09, 2014, 2:36 pm  //  Wendy Harris

Costco imposes indirect costs on our community that are as real and tangible as road construction expenses.

1 comments; last on Feb 13, 2014

Reid Boiler Works Burns Down

Sun, Feb 09, 2014, 9:13 am  //  John Servais

The old empty Reid Boiler Works industrial building in Fairhaven burned to the ground Saturday night.

0 comments

Panem et Circenses - Why I Did Not Watch “The Super Bowl”

Mon, Feb 03, 2014, 5:30 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Professional and even college sports have morphed into a circus of corporate greed and the fleecing of the public.

3 comments; last on Mar 01, 2014

Have You Exceeded Your Right To Information?

Sat, Feb 01, 2014, 12:35 am  //  Wendy Harris

Filing a public record request could land a citizen in jail under a proposal reflected in a Herald opinion article.

2 comments; last on Feb 03, 2014

Wendy Harris Receives deArmond Award for Citizen Journalism

Wed, Jan 29, 2014, 6:18 am  //  Guest writer

Tim Johnson writes about the first recipient of the Paul deArmond Citizen Journalism award, Whatcom County writer Wendy Harris.

3 comments; last on Feb 08, 2014

Anatomy of a Development Part XI - The Doldrums at University Ridge

Mon, Jan 20, 2014, 5:14 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The developers of University Ridge have been silent since shortly after the hearing examiner's decision on 23 October last year. Will they walk?

The Marijuana Bowl

Sun, Jan 19, 2014, 8:39 pm  //  John Servais

Super Bowl ... Weed Bowl ... This bud's for you ... Bong Bowl ... Marijuana Bowl ... whatever. It is on!

1 comments; last on Jan 20, 2014

Port’s Alternative Marina Analysis a Scam

Tue, Jan 14, 2014, 2:19 pm  //  Guest writer

Do we actually need to say that we, as citizens, want accurate information from government officials?

1 comments; last on Jan 14, 2014

City too Poor for Power Pennies or Discrimination?

Fri, Dec 27, 2013, 4:00 am  //  Guest writer

Guest writer Barbara Perry writes about Bellingham Parks refusal to allow motorized wheel chairs to recharge at public electrical outlets.

6 comments; last on Jan 03, 2014

Port Memo Addresses Marina Fraud Allegations

Fri, Dec 20, 2013, 3:56 pm  //  Wendy Harris

A Port of Bellingham internal memo tries, but fails, to justify changes in cost estimates for alternative marina sites.

5 comments; last on Dec 22, 2013

Lummi Influence Over the Waterfront Planning Process Continues to Grow

Tue, Dec 17, 2013, 12:21 am  //  Wendy Harris

Army Corps advised DOE that it will not issue a waterfront permit without Lummi approval

2 comments; last on Jan 13, 2014

Gary Jensen Not Running for State Senate

Mon, Dec 16, 2013, 12:30 pm  //  John Servais

Ferndale Mayor Gary Jensen has decided not to file for the 42nd state Senate seat currently held by Doug Ericksen.

5 comments; last on Dec 24, 2013

Larrabee School; Its Future

Mon, Dec 09, 2013, 12:24 pm  //  Guest writer

Barbara Perry writes about the closed nature of the Bellingham School Board on the future of the Larrabee School.

1 comments; last on Dec 15, 2013

Steal this Waterfront: Costs without Benefit

Sat, Dec 07, 2013, 8:23 pm  //  Tip Johnson

Wherein the direct, indirect, hidden and lost opportunity costs make this a waterfront boondoggle of billions

3 comments; last on Dec 11, 2013

On Monday, City Council Votes “third and final” Approval of Waterfront Plan

Sat, Dec 07, 2013, 12:33 pm  //  Wendy Harris

Local activist calls on Bellingham City Council to table the unpopular waterfront plans and engage in meaningful public process

2 comments; last on Dec 08, 2013

Lecture on County Water Issues Draws Crowd

Fri, Dec 06, 2013, 11:03 pm  //  Wendy Harris

The county will be required to consider water quality and water quantity when planning rural growth.

3 comments; last on Dec 10, 2013

Video Exposes City Council Dysfunction on Waterfront Plan

Thu, Dec 05, 2013, 11:58 am  //  John Servais

The Political Junkie has posted a 3 minute video showing Bellingham City Council members explaining their idiocy for all of us to watch.

2 comments; last on Dec 06, 2013

The Bellingham “Riot” - Let’s Expand the Conversation

Thu, Dec 05, 2013, 5:00 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The post "riot" conversation is terribly lacking in several areas. We must expand the discussion or risk learning little from the experience.

3 comments; last on Dec 15, 2013

Cascadia Weekly Blasts Waterfront Plan

Wed, Dec 04, 2013, 10:53 am  //  John Servais

Bellingham City Council and Port of Bellingham finalize the waterfront plan. In his weekly Gristle, Tim Johnson blasts the corrupt public process.

4 comments; last on Dec 05, 2013

Waterfront Development Bonus Yet Another Bad Idea

Sat, Nov 30, 2013, 8:11 pm  //  Wendy Harris

The waterfront plan allows a development bonus for payments made to the Lake Whatcom land acquisition fund

1 comments; last on Dec 01, 2013

City and Port Ready To Act on Waterfront Plan

Fri, Nov 29, 2013, 9:43 pm  //  Wendy Harris

A number of important issues need to be resolved before waterfront planning is complete, but the city council and port commission are ready to act.

2 comments; last on Nov 30, 2013

Port Unable To Protect Public Safety

Fri, Nov 22, 2013, 9:01 pm  //  Wendy Harris

If the port can not construct the airport safely, should it be entrusted with dangerous waterfront cleanup work?

Walmart and McDonald’s - Partners in Institutionalized Cluelessness

Wed, Nov 20, 2013, 5:03 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The advice coming from Walmart and McDonald's to its low paid employees becomes more and more bizarre and inane.

Anatomy of a Development - Part X Appeals of the Hearing Examiner’s Decision

Tue, Nov 19, 2013, 5:35 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Ambling's motion to the hearing examiner for reconsideration was definitively rejected. The developer has not met the deadline for an appeal to the Superior Court

Smoking Gun: Fraud and Deception

Mon, Nov 18, 2013, 2:18 pm  //  Guest writer

In which we find the hidden core of the waterfront plan is rotten through and through

7 comments; last on Nov 21, 2013

County Releases EIS, Prepares to Purchase Jail Site

Mon, Nov 18, 2013, 10:59 am  //  Riley Sweeney

The county takes two big steps forward on the new jail, while still missing the point

Noballmacare and Setting the False Standard

Thu, Nov 14, 2013, 1:39 am  //  Tip Johnson

Dear Mr. President, There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him.

7 comments; last on Nov 21, 2013

City Council Misled On Waterfront Planning

Wed, Nov 13, 2013, 3:16 pm  //  Wendy Harris

The city adminstration has been providing misleading/ incorrect information to the city council to avoid waterfront plan revisions.

1 comments; last on Nov 18, 2013

Election Analysis: What Happened with the Port Races?

Tue, Nov 12, 2013, 10:21 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley crunches the numbers on Renata and McAuley's races to find answers

2 comments; last on Nov 13, 2013

Puget Neighborhood Likely New Home for 1,300 Students

Tue, Nov 12, 2013, 5:16 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Puget Neighborhood will likely have in the immediate future 1,300 new rental units that will be marketed primarily to the student population.

Gloomy Fate For Waterfront Wildlife

Sat, Nov 09, 2013, 9:47 pm  //  Wendy Harris

The COB administration continues in its refusal to analyze waterfront wildlife issues, even though this is a prerequisite step in protecting wildlife from the impacts of development

3 comments; last on Nov 10, 2013

Election Results - November 2013

Tue, Nov 05, 2013, 8:21 pm  //  John Servais

With lots of outside county money flowing in to our local races, this election is weird. But real - and we county residents have spoken.

11 comments; last on Nov 09, 2013

Health Insurance Scams - Washington Not Spared

Mon, Nov 04, 2013, 9:55 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The call of the dollar speaks more loudly to health insurance companies than does the voice and well-being of the consumer, even here in Washington.

8 comments; last on Nov 06, 2013

Anatomy of a Development - Part IX BMC Rule of Three Thwarts Plans

Thu, Oct 31, 2013, 10:19 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Four bedroom dorm rooms have been nixed by the hearing examiner. University Ridge may be in trouble as a cash cow for Ambling Development of Georgia

3 comments; last on Nov 04, 2013

The Slaughterhouse Referendum - Citizens Opposing Widespread Slaughter (COWS)

Mon, Oct 28, 2013, 10:19 pm  //  Tip Johnson

Wherein we discover why we exert our rights - and grab some more petitions before it's too late

3 comments; last on Nov 06, 2013

Dick’s Picks for City Council - Burr and Petree

Mon, Oct 28, 2013, 12:00 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Independent voters are for independent thinkers on the city council. Vote for Burr and Petree.

Boulevard Park Reopens

Sat, Oct 26, 2013, 7:36 pm  //  John Servais

Beach reconstruction is done at Boulevard Park on the Bellingham waterfront. Paths along shore are again open - and it looks good.

6 comments; last on Nov 01, 2013

Ken Bell and Renata for Port

Sun, Oct 20, 2013, 7:07 pm  //  John Servais

Ken Bell has my vote over Mike McAuley for port commissioner. And Renata Kowalczyk has it over Dan Robbins.

8 comments; last on Oct 30, 2013