Last week I discussed looking into the city budget to better inform your civic missions. Today we’ll look at the council packet. These are generally available HERE well in advance of the meeting, so there is no reason not to know what is keeping the council busy.
Here is the council packet for their next meeting on Nov 7, 2016
Amidst some recent turmoil at council proceedings I thought it might be instructive for many casual observers to see exactly the kind of stuff council members must wade through before they make their decisions.
The week, for instance, the agenda includes -
- A public hearing for a couple of rezones to be docketed
- some sewer system improvements
- additions to the municipal code
- some jail contracts
- accounting compliance adjustments
- purchase of an ambulance
- setting next years council calendar
- raising property taxes
- adopting the updated comprehensive plan with a revised capital improvement plan
- some appointments
- authorizing about $3 million in expenditures, and
- approving a subdivision.
There’s a ream of letters commenting on the comp plan, including many concerned with changes to the Accessory Dwelling Unit regulations. This week’s packet is 288 pages, and as usual not always the most engaging material. So, even though we may sometimes have legitimate complaints with council actions, we should always give them credit for dutifully slogging through the often mundane business of running a municipality.